Tuesday 24 August 2010

Sunny Nelson (BC)

It was a 120km day to arrive in Grand Forks - fortunately the last 10-15km was primo downhill! Our warmshowers hosts, Randy and Cheryl were fantastic. They are planning their own major cycle tour (of the world, pretty much) so we spent the evening swapping ideas about cycle clothes, tools, gear, gadgets. They hadn't really come across Down Jackets; I think we convinced them to get one each. They told us about GPS cameras (never forget where you took a photo ever again); mobile walkie talkies for on the road; UV water purifier...

The next day was 100km to Castlegar; I think Jimmy was pretty keen to see if we could make it all the way to Nelson; but I was starting to fade. It was another hot day, with the heat radiating back off the black asphalt; and another 1500m pass to cross. The scenery is becoming more rugged; more the Canada I was expecting, so I'm getting more and more excited about getting to the mountains. By the time we arrived in Castlegar I was knackered. We'd done 690km (fully loaded) in 7 days.... We were both starving (3 cinnamon rolls and 6 sandwiches (each) during the day had well worn off) so we went to a chinese restaurant. Jimmy wanted sushi, but as soon as we walked in the door and saw a huge plate of noodles we both knew what we wanted. I ordered a 'combo' which was a huge plate of 4 different dishes - pork balls, chicken balls, noodles and veges. Jimmy's plate of noodles was big enough to feed a small family. We noticed everyone else would take the leftovers home in takeout containers. I was eating so fast I was almost forgetting to breathe. About 2/3 of the way through my stomach started hurting - actual pain! But I didn't stop eating. I really did not think Jimmy would be able to finish his; but he did - and then finished the rest of mine. I was still clutching my stomach when we arrived at the campground. We saw a black bear on the way to the campground and commented to the campground manager "oh yes, there are 3 of them that hang around; don't worry they haven't yet entered the campground".

The next day we rode a nice 40km to Nelson and pitched our tents in the cute City Campground, just seconds from the city centre. We're having a day off today. I went to the doctor and got antibiotics for the urine infection that I've been trying to ignore since I got to Canada (great patient, I know). It came to a head last night when my kidney started to ache...

No comments:

Post a Comment