Tuesday 24 August 2010

Retail therapy in Nelson


I'm was a bit worn out from lack of sleep due to a self-deflating air mattress and mild pyelonephritis; so I went shopping.
The shop assistant at the outdoor store was so helpful. I was eyeing up the Thermarest Neo-Air mattress, but decided it was too narrow; my elbows kept falling off. Then she showed me others and I pounced on a fabulously comfortable yet compact green Big Agnes mattress - the only one left in stock. It was then I spied their MSR tents. I own an MSR Hubba Hubba and love it - lightweight, easy to put up - but it leaks (12 months of accumulated cycle touring over 4 years has taken it's toll). Their MSR tents were on sale - less than half the price they sell for in NZ.
So I walked out of the store with not only a new air mattress, but a new tent to match... My old tent is now sitting in the post office ready to take the slow boat back to NZ.
I celebrated my slightly manic purchase with a licorice and ginger icecream (the ginger was great).
I feel I haven't written that much about what the cycling is like here. Very different from cycling in NZ or Europe - the options pretty much are highways or small gravel roads. Jimmy isn't keen on going offroad (too many broken spokes) so we are sticking with the highways. The highways are fine - wide shoulder and well paved; but with the big distances between towns and just being on a highway we don't tend to stop much along the way; hence the big distances. Also, the scenery hasn't yet been as spectacular as I was expecting; though it is improving (getting more rugged) each day. It won't be long before we are in among the Rocky Mountains! Everyone we meet tells us how great Banff and the Icefields Parkway highway is; so I'm chomping at the bit to get there. Only 513km to go.... (And no, a bus is not an option! Well, it is, but I don't want to)


1 comment:

  1. Hi Byrdie & Jimmie - I am enjoying your commentary soooo much - The Chinese dinner story is a hoot! & then 3 bears!! You are really in the swing of things (things being the hills & distances here in BC) but doing so well. Keep up the good work (pedalpedal) & you'll reach Banff in good time. Best of Luck. Sharon

    ReplyDelete