Thursday 16 September 2010

Whistler: Disneyland for adults

The first views of Whistler were rounding a bend in the road and seeing a lake surrounded by trees, with mountains in the background. We got onto the beautifully paved bike path and followed the signs into the city. Any town or city that has paved bike paths has won me over already.



We arrived at Village Square and it felt like disneyland. There were downhill mountain bikers everywhere, and the chairlift was right in town. So I just sat and ate cheese sandwiches and watched the downhillers flying down the hill in quick succession; then get on the chairlift to do it all again. It was a bit daunting seeing them going over the huge jumps, and following so closely behind one another, but I later found out that those were not the regular trails; there were others near the exit too! We spent our first day in Whistler wandering around the shops; I was knackered. 6 100km days in a row probably had something to do with that.
I really wanted a McDonald's chocolate sundae (I've not had so many McDonald's sundaes back to back, ever, but they do the trick!). We got talking to a local, Tom, who tried suggesting 'local' eateries, including Splitz Grill. I think he was a bit put-out that we were going to go to McDonalds! I suddenly got tired of pushing my fully-loaded bike on the strictly pedestrian-only street and plomped myself down on a park bench and sent Jimmy off to get the sundaes. After we'd eaten the sundaes I felt a bit better and we wandered down to the supermarket to think about dinner. Jimmy popped off to find a liquor store and I minded the bikes. That's when I smelt KFC. I have not had KFC for years. I left the bikes and nipped in and got some chicken and fries. Jimmy came back and we noticed Tom's bike. I really didn't want him catching me eating KFC as well! We took off across the carpark; and by the time he found us I had finished and disposed of the evidence....
We cycled to meet Jimmy's friend Gaz, a kiwi rafting guide now based in Whistler. He rents a tiny 1 bedroom unit, up a pretty steep hill. We had a quiet night in; Gaz went out for a swim and we did the dishes - I laughed to Jimmy that here we were in a Party Town and we stayed in washing dishes....
The next day was our Day Off. I was feeling pretty jaded so went for some retail therapy which worked very well. I now own another pair of shoes, and another air mattress....
We went to Splitz Grill for a burger and I ordered an icecream as well. The icecream was a meal in itself! It seemed to be the best value in town and was divine. Two huge scoops in a waffle cone. I was elated.
About 5pm we went to a Warmshowers hosts house. She wasn't home and I ended up talking to her landlord upstairs - who immediately offered us her place to stay as Sara's is so small! The landlord was heading off to Vancouver so we have the place to ourselves. We are so lucky.












No comments:

Post a Comment